Access to the collection
The collection is open to everyone. Library materials can be accessed only in the reading room. In order to use the collection, a valid photo ID must be presented.
Processing readers’ requests
- from the collection on-site: immediate access
- from the repository: requests are processed as they come in on the following day
Visitors are only allowed to make copies of well-preserved library materials for a fee. Visitors may also use their own equipment (laptops, digital cameras).
Checking out books
The library does not permit individual readers to check out books. Only interlibrary loans are permitted. Books can be checked out to staff members of academic institutions if they provide a recommendation from their employer.
The annual registration fee is 1zł.
Our library was founded in 1911. Over the last century of its existence, , the library has become the home of a very valuable and specialised collection, today including over thirty thousand volumes. This collection includes works from the field of Polish and foreign ethnography, museum studies, and art history, as well as anthropology, sociology, archeology, history and cultural studies.
New items in our collections are acquired through purchase, donations and interlibrary exchange with numerous institutions and museums in both Poland and abroad. Thanks to this, our library is one of the best specialised libraries in the nation. It includes:
- universal encyclopedias by Orgelbrand, Gutenberg, Brückner, Gloger, and others
- specialised encyclopedias on such topics as old Polish, farming, education, and clerical encyclopedias
- dictionaries by B. Linde, M. Arct, Geographical Dictionary of the Kingdom of Poland, Polish Bibliographical Dictionary, contemporary linguistic dictionaries and bibliographic publications
- canonic works from the fields of ethnography and auxiliary sciences by the most renowned ethnographers including: Collected Works by Oskar Kolberg, Folk Culture of Slavs/Slavic Folk Culture by K. Moszyński, and the Atlas of Polish Folk Costumes
- ethnographic magazines including Lud, Wisła, Polska Sztuka Ludowa, Zbiór Wiadomości do Antropologii Krajowej, and many others.